Monday, October 24, 2011

31 for 21- Day 24: Costume Junkie

A little confession time here:  I admit it.  I get a high from dressing up in costumes.  I pretty much always have.  My mama is a thrift store queen.  And she is a bit of a costume junkie herself, so there are many costume boxes in my mother's house.  When it's time for Halloween or any other event that inspires us to get all decked out, going through my mother's boxes is an adventure in itself.

I'm guessing Halloween 1987 or so...
Me (the cat), sister Erin (Kid Terrific) and sister Mira (Cute Witch).

My own costume box is fairly minimal in comparison.  I've got some odds and ends from here and there, but it contains a lot of pieces from costumes I've put together over the years. Here are a few of my favorites:

Doll costume on Halloween day maybe 3 years ago. 
We didn't even go out but just answered the door for trick-or-treaters.

New Year's Eve a couple years ago, me and the sisters again.  
Why are we dressed like this?  Why not?
(Left to right, Mira, Erin, me)


Mardi Gras night on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise. Fun!

One of the best costumes we did: The Flintstones and the Rubbles, Halloween 2009
I made the Rubbles' costumes and Christine made the Flintstones' costumes.
(Left to right: Nick as Barney, me as Betty, Christine as Wilma, Shane as Fred.)

And my main claim to fame:  the BEST COSTUME EVER!!
Smurfette about 6 years ago.
Yes, I put this together myself:  blue liquid latex for upper body, makeup for face, tights for legs.
Overall effect:  priceless.  But it was not fun to remove.

This year it's pretty exciting that I get to dress up Miss Cora. Although I've seen some adorable little pre-made costumes out there, I couldn't help but want to craft one up for her.

So here's a sneak peak of the costume pieces, although I feel like it's cheating if I post the pictures of her wearing it already...  oh but they're cute! 

Antennae headband, made from pipe cleaners and felt ladybugs.


Handmade tulle tu-tu with black puffball dots.



Bodysuit, made from a white onesie dyed red, with cut-out felt dots glued on.


It may have taken several hours to make, and whether it's really that much cuter than store-bought is a matter of opinion, but it's much more rewarding for me.  And I can't wait to post pictures of my cute little Bug.

8 comments:

  1. Very creative costumes! Can't wait to see a pic of your little love bug =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Charlotte is going to be a lady bug as well, but the costume you made is MUCH cuter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the pics!!!! Love all your costumes! I think the Smurf one was nuts! I can't imagine getting all that blue off. My mom always went overboard for Halloween too. My poor kids...their momma just isn't as creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, the smurf costume = awesomeness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pssst- Nava has a red tutu and some similar looking accessories in the drawer awaiting the weekend. :)
    Unfortunately though, yours is better, ours is store bought and the shirt has a pic of a ladybug rather than being - correctly!- a red shirt with black polka dots!
    Jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is going to look adorable! PS, totally love your costumes...especially the smurf and flinstones!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I would be BFF if you lived next door, simply based on HALLOWEEN!!! I get it. I was so psyched to have kids so I could finally dress them up. First year, Micah had 3 costumes, second, he had SIX! This year he only has two. Moxie has all of his old ones and then one new. It's bad, man... BAD.
    PS> I didn't do Smurfette (good one) but I did "The Night" which was NOT a good idea. Black sparkly oil-based body paint, long black wig, all that, sparkly bikini (I was in Arizona, it was warm) and the next day, it was EVERYWHERE, crazy-hard to remove and clean up)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see little bean in that costume (oh wait, I already did - too bad the rest of you will have to wait... he he he ;--)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!