Monday, November 18, 2013

Transitions

We've been on a pretty long and slow path in our quest to get a decent night's sleep around here.  I've blogged about it before, although it's been a while.  And although things have improved, it's been a constant struggle.

Before Cora had her tonsils and adenoids out in early 2012, it was not uncommon for her to wake up 50 times a night and to need help to get back to sleep every time.  When you're singing Hallelujah when you get a solid 1-hour block of sleep, you can resort to pretty desperate measures.  Ours included doing whatever it took to get her to sleep as quickly as possible. 

So we co-slept.  Since she had significant sleep apnea, it also helped alleviate our nervousness over her breathing.

Since her tonsillectomy, things got a little better.  But still, she'd awaken quite a few times a night and always need help going back to sleep, often waking for hours in the middle of the night. 

Eventually, she got a mattress on the floor next to our bed, where she'd spend part of the night, and then come in with us, snuggled up face-to-face with her Daddy until morning.

But yesterday, we took a big step:  we got her a real toddler bed and we moved it INTO HER ROOM! Cora's room at our new house has been a play room up until this point.  But now, it's her honest to goodness bedroom, and she couldn't be more thrilled.  (You may notice Cora's unusual shirt-wearing style in these photos: she was also learning to take off her shirt yesterday.)


We're not expecting any sudden or drastic miracles.  Last night she took a long time to get to sleep, and then slept in her room until midnight or so, when she came back in with us.  And I imagine it will take some time.  Our hope is obviously that she can sleep longer in her own bed and get used to being in her room. 


But this is our first real big step.  It feels exciting and a little scary too.  While I was having my own pangs yesterday realizing that I'd be going to sleep in a room without an easy-waking little goose in the corner, I suddenly didn't feel ready.

And I wasn't the only one, apparently.  Even Nick had his own moment of sadness, as he looked at the empty space in the corner of our room where her little mattress had been.

But it's time.  Right now my little girlie is snoozing away in her own little bed, having her mid-day repose.


I'm crossing our fingers for the three of us.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck cutie pie! I always have that moment too, when I think, Oh wait, I'm not ready! Change is so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the transition goes well for all of you. I think it's great that she's taking her nap in her bed already. She'll get there. Owen has always been a mover and a shaker in bed which is probably why we have never shared (unless we are staying at a hotel). Even as an infant he wanted his own space and has always slept in his own room. Every kid is different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute girl - with such a cute bed! I hope this change goes smoothly for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, that is hilarious. Gary will wear his shirt like that too! We're thinking about transitioning to the mattress on the floor. Gary is getting a little too good at escape, and it may come as a bump in the night if we don't get in front of it. You've given me encouragement that we can do it. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cora also notices the difference... She and I were playing in our room, and she looked at me, puzzled, as if to say, "where's my bed at, Daddy?" We talked about it and then went about our business of wrestling around on the big bed... I think after some initial getting used to, it'll be a good thing for our family - nice post, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cora....you know what having your own bed means don't you??? Slumber Party!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!